TO THE READERS OF OUR BLOG

TO THE READERS OF OUR BLOG

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Back To School Dinner

I love the idea of having a back to school dinner each new year.  It was a tradition I want to start, so this year I did!  For our dinner, I had the kids tell me four or five things they wished we had for dinner-stuff their mom would NEVER let them have for dinner! :) I picked some things from that list, without letting them know, and did a "mystery dinner". 






I made up these menus, using pictures instead of words.  We ordered three different times, with them each picking four pictures at a time.  We had Tostino's Pizza, Capri Suns, Gushers, Twinkies, Chocolate Creamies, Butterfinger Candy Bars, Biscuits (one of Eden's requests!).  It was so fun and is definitely going to be a tradition!  We were sad to have Dad miss it, but this is a busy time for him.

I also wanted to present the kids a school year theme, after seeing and hearing about a few other families do the same thing.  I thought it was such a great idea and felt Joshua 1:9 was a great message for our family this school year.
I talked about how we shouldn't be afraid of anything (something we have really had a hard time with lately, especially with Carter at bedtime, which is not like him at all-which is probably a whole other post actually :) and we want our kids to be brave and have courage to do things that are not in their comfort zone, or that make them grow and develop into the people we want them to be.  I talked about how I want them to remember that their Heavenly Father really is with them everywhere they go, and in everything they do, and that he loves them because they are his children.  To remind them of this, I found these zipper pulls at Walmart for $1.85.  Now every time they open or close their back pack, they see this little reminder. 

No comments: