TO THE READERS OF OUR BLOG

TO THE READERS OF OUR BLOG

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Family Home Evening

Tonight we had a lesson about honesty. I found a story on Pinterest about a "lie monster" and it was a big hit. Then I talked about how lying kind of gives you a bad taste in your mouth and makes you feel bad inside. Then I gave each of them some pop rocks and as we ate them we laughed and laughed at how it felt. Then we handed out family awards-something we need to do more often since it is so exciting for the kids and makes them feel so special. 
I am trying a lot harder to do better at Family Home Evening, mostly due to a conversation with my sisters and mom, particularly with my sister Marie.  I was a bit rude during our conversation and I know I made her feel bad.  She mentioned that her family had never missed a family home evening, and in my moments of complete amazement and comparison to my lack of consistency, I know I made her feel bad.  I didn't mean too, but I really was just amazed that she could say that!  Her and her husband are good examples of righteous parenting and I need to follow that example more often.  I've realized that I have made excuses of why I haven't been doing it-mostly due to the fact that Damien is gone a lot of the time, and it falls on me to be the leader when he is not around (although he is very good at it when he is here).  I'm learning that comparing what works for one family and another is not helpful or healthy, but am thankful for good examples I have around me to always help me be a better person.  

No comments: