TO THE READERS OF OUR BLOG

TO THE READERS OF OUR BLOG

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

She Snores Like A Truck Driver

I know this video is hard to hear,but I was trying to video little Eden while she slept so I could remember the way she SNORED before getting her tonsils out.  I had the ENT doctor look at her when we took McKoy to him back in May, and he confirmed what I had thought.  Eden had HUGE tonsils, and she was suffering from sleep apnea because of their size.  She has never slept extremely well, and he felt those blasted tonsils were probably the cause.  He suggested we get them taken out as soon as we could, but would not do it until she turned 2.  He also suggested that while she was asleep, we have her ears cleaned out really well.  We scheduled it for August 31.
We had to arrive at the hospital early that morning.  Damien took the day off and stayed with the three oldest while Eden and I headed to the hospital to get checked in.  He got the boys off to school and then took Addison to my mom's before meeting up with us at the hospital.  They had already taken her back by the time he arrived, but having both Uncle Jake Poulter and Uncle Nicholas (who happened to be doing a rotation with Jake) there to give her the medicine, let her watch shows on Nicholas' cool phone, and tell her stories about her cousins really made it less scary and traumatic (for both her and her mom).  Jake actually just carried her back when it was time to start, and then he said he just held her while he gave her the medicine and while she fell asleep.  Damien and I sure appreciated them helping to make it go smoothly.  She was tired and confused and hurting when she woke up but liked to be held and would switch from wanting mom or dad.  She drank some apple juice and a few bites of jello, surprising her mom and dad, and we were able to go home a lot faster than when we were with McKoy.  I had people tell me that it was easier with he younger ones, and it seemed to be true actually.   

She loved this little hat and kept it on for quite a while.  Her recovery at home went pretty well, nights were a little hard but we tried to keep her comfortable. She was very lethargic and just not herself the first four days, and I finally realized it was the medicine making her that way.  After consulting with Dr./Uncle Jake Poulter, he suggested we stop giving her it and just stick to Tylenol and ibuprofen.  That helped her a lot and she was back to normal in about nine days. 

After a week, we met with Dr. McGee for her follow up appointment.  He deemed her ready to go back to normal activity, eating and drinking anything she wanted.  He didn't tell us this, but her uncles did-Eden's tonsils were huge but her adenoids were GINORMOUS!  Some of the biggest they had seen!  This was surprising, but I guess we shouldn't have been shocked given the way she snored.  We are glad we got them taken out and hope it helps her grow and sleep and be healthy.

No comments: