No Fluff. No Frill. Just Facts.
The Smith Family s.t.r.u.g.g.l.e.s. to have an actual conduct, opening prayer, opening song, lead, lesson, scripture, closing song, treat kind of family home meeting. Don't get me wrong, we spend plenty of time together as a family, but most of our family home evenings are joined by John Madden, Peyton Manning, or Austin Collie, with an occasional visit from Lebron James, Deron Williams, or Derek Rose. Needless to say, we've been
"trying a little harder to be a little better."
So Monday comes around, and Carter informs me that he has a lesson for tonights FHE. After a wonderfully moving rendition of "Popcorn Popping" and a prayer possibly worthy of General Conference from McKoy, Carter preceded with the lesson...
and can I get a Hallelujah!!!!
Both Damien and I were so impressed with what he did. It was one of those moments in parenthood that are few and far between, when for an inkling of a second, you feel like you are doing a good job. A little background to this story: Carter came home a couple of weeks ago from school with a big smile on his face and a perfectly round, perfectly c-o-l-d snowball in his glove covered hand. He had been forming and shaping it the whole walk home, and I could just see the pride gleaming in his blue eyes. "Can I keep it," he asked me. Hating to break it to the kid, I had to point out the obvious fact that snowballs don't make the greatest pets. He quickly countered with a solution. He dug out a Country Crock butter tub, saved year round for our huckleberry picking excursions, and proceeded to tell me how he planned to keep it. It has been in our freezer ever since! So back to FHE, where I notice Carter had the butter tub discreetly hid behind his back. In his most serious and sincere voice, he pulls out the snowball and explains to us how families are like his snowball. It takes lots of work to make it a perfect circle, and that we have to "stick together" as a family. Then he bore his short but touching testimony and ended his lesson.
Again, can I get a Hallelujah!!!!
and can I get a Hallelujah!!!!
Both Damien and I were so impressed with what he did. It was one of those moments in parenthood that are few and far between, when for an inkling of a second, you feel like you are doing a good job. A little background to this story: Carter came home a couple of weeks ago from school with a big smile on his face and a perfectly round, perfectly c-o-l-d snowball in his glove covered hand. He had been forming and shaping it the whole walk home, and I could just see the pride gleaming in his blue eyes. "Can I keep it," he asked me. Hating to break it to the kid, I had to point out the obvious fact that snowballs don't make the greatest pets. He quickly countered with a solution. He dug out a Country Crock butter tub, saved year round for our huckleberry picking excursions, and proceeded to tell me how he planned to keep it. It has been in our freezer ever since! So back to FHE, where I notice Carter had the butter tub discreetly hid behind his back. In his most serious and sincere voice, he pulls out the snowball and explains to us how families are like his snowball. It takes lots of work to make it a perfect circle, and that we have to "stick together" as a family. Then he bore his short but touching testimony and ended his lesson.
Again, can I get a Hallelujah!!!!
5 comments:
Yay Carter!!! What a great FHE lesson! You now get the best mom award... :)
Good Job carter! What a good boy~
That's so cute! Go Mom! I love the way you put things. Your writing is so clever!
You really should write a newspaper column. You've got a gift! Seriously! Good job Carter. Good job Ash.:)
Ahh! That is just so sweet!
OH, I have gotten the worst mom of the year award many times! :)
Post a Comment