TO THE READERS OF OUR BLOG

TO THE READERS OF OUR BLOG

Friday, December 25, 2009

{Christmas}

Why is it that the Christmas season always has to fly by? I'm sad to see another one pass by but am glad we took full advantage of the break and really enjoyed our time together. We spent some time at Mike and Tammie's on Christmas Eve, enjoying a delicious prime rib dinner and a few fun games. We left early enough to have our own time at home, trying to begin some of our own family traditions. Here's Santa's little elf, enjoying all the festivities. Our two toned Christmas tree:
If you'll notice the top half is COVERED in white lights. I wrapped each branch very carefully, using 600 on that part, and in the process using all the strands I had. I figured I would go buy more the next day, but knew it would prove to be difficult since I was watching extra kids (I watch Madi and Gabe Messick-cutest and nicest kids I have ever watched on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays) so leaving my house on those days very seldom happens. But I chose to be brave, and after spending thirty minutes (at least, not being sarcastic) loading all the kids in the good ole mini van, I drove the .54 miles to Kings to get some lights. After, oh I'd say another fifteen minutes getting everybody out of the van, I distract the kids while we walk past the cool toys (so I don't have to stop) and hurry to the Christmas decoration isle. I see lots and lots of different lights, but by this time I think I have two kids crying, one whining, and another trying to to pocket an ornament :) so I grab four boxes of the much needed sparkly things and head to the check out stand. And wouldn't you know it, ONE checkout stand open, FOUR people in line. Gotta love it...get home and put three of the five kids down for naps, then excitedly rip open my new purchases so I can finish my tree! Then what to my wondering eyes do appear, but sparkly white lights on WHITE wires, oh dear!!! I freaking ("don't say freaking, mom" my sons would say) got the wrong lights!!! Back in the bag they go to be returned and into the lazy boy I go to ponder my mistake and stare at the ever so lovely Charlie Brown tree standing in my living room. Next day...I wait until Damien gets home from late practice, put kids to bed, then jump in the trusty van to head to Wal-Mart for lights, all the while rocking out to Taylor Swift's f e a r l e s s since I find myself alone in the car. I head back to the "site to store" pick up counter to help Santa with some Christmas goods, where I happen to run into my brother in law Zane, who is a loyal employee :) of Wal-Mart and he walks with me to the Christmas light section and helps me pick out four boxes of them. I head home, so excited to finish my tree that night. When I walk in the door and open the boxes of lights, and hold back a gasp as I see that yet AGAIN I got the wrong lights!!! These ones do have green wires, but the lights are actually a frosted white, which looks ridiculous on the tree. So to shorten up this much longer than need be story, I tried once more after this, failed again, so totally gave up and let the kids have free reign on the blasted thing...kinda looks like Christmas threw up all over it! :)

We were sure to leave Santa's favorite cookie, OROES. (learned that on "Unwrapped" thank you very much) and a few chocolate covered pretzels. Carter arranged the plate quite artistically I think. Oh, and the boys thought Santa probably gets sick of plain old milk all the time, so we left him lemonade!!

Growing up we had a fun tradition of all the kids sleeping in one bedroom. I remember talking and laughing about how we were SURE we heard jingle bells and trying hard to fall asleep. I thought it would be a fun tradition to start with our kids...

We had them settled in this big comfy bed about 8:30 that night....


and it was sure fun while it lasted. Addison was back in her own bed by 9:15 after one two many "she keeps touching me" and "stop hitting Adds" and "no singing Adds, Santa is coming" and "Adds, lay down and go to sleep so Santa can come!!!"
We'll try again next year! :)
Santa sure found our house-Some of the gifts I'll highlight this year: The boys sure love the Nintendo DS they each got, Addsion loves her new dolly crib and high chair, and Eden likes, well, she kinda didn't care about much! :) She loves her rattle toy that was left in her stocking though. Grandma Karen always spoils them silly, and they were excited to open up all her gifts. Mike and Tammie got us a freaking (yeah yeah don't say freaking...) Wii-totally surprised us on that one! All and all, we had a great Christmas and hope you did too! We love our family, far and near, and was grateful for the times we were able to visit them.

4 comments:

The Hurd Herd said...

Chad and I just got a Wii. It is really fun! It looks like you had a fun Christmas...I still need to blog about Christmas...it came and went so fast this year!

JMP said...

I am still laughing about your tree. That is so funny! What a good story teller you are!

Tyler and Caryn said...

Your Christmas tree story is hilarious. It's one of those times where you are so frustrated, but you just have to laugh about it. Sounds like an excellent Christmas!

Emily said...

I've had to stay from blogging for a while (computer makes me sick) and can not believe how big your kids have gotten since I last checked in! Little Eden really is growing up so quickly and is beautiful just like her sister! I love her smile! Glad our fam was able to provide you with some free entertainment-- thanks for watching!