TO THE READERS OF OUR BLOG

TO THE READERS OF OUR BLOG

Sunday, February 14, 2010

{Valentine's Day}

I have been a little preoccupied the last couple of weeks with lots of stuff!!!
1. I somehow thought it would be so fun and just a great idea to volunteer my time (because I have just soooo much of it laying around) as the Judges Chairman for Ririe's Junior Miss program. I have been busy trying (and sometimes failing) to find people who are willing to judge. I still am looking for a couple more, so don't screen my calls when you see my number pop up on caller id!
2. I have been MIA as I flew across the United States to visit my parents with a seven month old baby (post on that great vacation to come sooner than later, hopefully...fingers crossed...)
So there is a couple of lame excuses for my lack of blog updating, even though I have about ten post ideas floating around my head right now...I am going to try to get them done in the next couple of days!
Continuing on to my Valentine's Day now...
All I can say about this picture is, OH BOY! But I am posting it anyway, because Damien and I have not had a decent (and I'm pretty sure this one doesn't fall under the "Decent Picture" category) for a few YEARS, but it is about the best you are gonna get when you have a seven year old taking it! But I wanted to post a picture of us, since we are VALENTINE'S and everything....:) This was a little before we went out for our semi annual date (okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but it tends to feel like that's how many we get somedays...) It is always kinda tricky for us to find/pay, but mostly pay, for babysitters, and Valentine's Day proved to be the same. So who did we have watch our beautiful, wonderful, polite, perfect children??? Well none other than our favorite firstborn, Carter! Now before you jump on the horn to call Social Services, I must explain that Carter is an EXTREMELY responsible seven year old who we trust completely, and we took Eden with us (relax, like I would really leave an almost seven month old baby with a seven year old!!! okay-it's totally crossed my mind:) ) Besides, I knew they would LOVE the chance to not have mom telling them to turn off the tv, which in fact proved to be true. We probably got a few dozen phone calls from them, to which most of them caused fits of giggles from Damien and I, but were able to referee all major disputes over the phone.
For example:
Addison-"McKoy is in my space bubble."
Us-"McKoy, get out of her space bubble."
Problem solved.
McKoy- "Addison is trying to comb my hair and she's scrapin' the skin!"
Us- "Addison, be soft when you comb McKoy's hair."
Problem solved.
Carter-"McKoy wants to watch Hoosiers again, but we just watched that!"
Us-"McKoy, it's Carter's turn to choose."
Problem solved.
We were gone for three and a half hours, and were so glad to get to do that. We really enjoyed spending time together shopping and going to eat.
And Eden was a great third wheel, by the way.
Funny thing was that I (and Damien) spent a good chunk of the morning cleaning the house, only to come home to this....totally worth it though! :)
Sunday morning, we wanted to do something to make Valentine's special for our kids, and perhaps start some fun traditions for our little family. I think we succeeded! Here's what we did.... Damien and I wrote little notes to the kids with some candy and gave it to them when they woke up. Then we had each person take a turn standing on the "pedestal" as we took turns telling things we loved about them.
{Carter}-McKoy loves him because he plays with him.
-Addison loves him because he tells funny jokes.
-Mom loves that he is kind to people who need friends.
-Dad loves that he is always willing to go play catch.
{Eden}-We all just love everything about this little babes!
{Addison}-McKoy loves when she runs to give him hugs and kisses at bedtime.
-Carter loves that she is a really nice sister and likes to give hugs and kisses before bed.
-Dad loves that she is so kind.
-Mom loves that she is such a good helper when I am cooking, cleaning, or helping Eden.
{Mom}-Carter loves that she helps him with his homework.
-McKoy loves when we do preschool at home with Madi and Gabe and she reads what he is supposed to do on his "homework".
-Dad loves that she keeps such a clean house. (ha ha how nice, 'cuz I don't know if that's really true!)
-Addison loves when she reads her stories.
{Dad}-Carter loves when he helps with reading homework, and willing to go out and play catch.
-McKoy loves when he plays catch with him, when he gets him stuff, like basketballs and footballs, and when he gave him horsey rides on his back when he was little.
-Mom loves that he is such a good dad, and that he is supportive of her as a stay at home mom.
-Addison loves when daddy tickles her.
{McKoy} -Addison loves that he plays with her downstairs.
-Carter loves that he is such a good brother. ("there are so many things....I can't decide!" was what he said firstz)
-Dad loves that he is always giggling and smiling.
-Mom loves that he is so tender hearted, especially when it comes to his sisters.
Oh, and Eden was asleep during this, so we sat her on the stool after she woke up and gave her a candy bar to gnaw on...she thought it was tasty!
Having church at eleven sure has its benefits.
Like HOT HOMEMADE BREAKFAST!!!
Damien made the cutest little heart shaped sausages, yummy hashbrowns, french toast (I added the little powdered sugar heart), and strawberry milk. I tried my hand at heart shaped eggs, but it didn't go so well, and I gave up after making two sloppy looking hearts. But they sure tasted good, as did everything else!
After church, we were just sitting down to Sunday dinner (dutch oven chicken, potatoes, corn on the cob, buttermilk biscuits, and milk, just in case you were wondering :) ) when we heard a knock on our garage door. I wondered who would be knocking on our garage door, and hurriedly went through the normal Sunday thoughts of "no, it's not fast offerings.." "did we forget the home teachers were coming???" but my jaw hit the door when I opened it up and saw Damien's mom and her friend, Mike standing there with big smiles and their arms loaded down with gifts and goodies!!! What a great surprise! Thanks for coming and remember-you are welcome to come anytime! (only next time, I am sending you home with all the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies---pretty sure they didn't help my "diet" ha ha!!!)

3 comments:

Sharee said...

Hey Ashley, I can't find your email address and if you still have mine, will you please send me a quick email with your address? I have a question for you... Thanks! :)

The Hurd Herd said...

That is such cute tradition! I might have to steal it for next year. I know I have said this before, but you have the cutest little family!

Halli said...

How fun!! Glad your V-Day was fun!